Now that virtually everybody agrees that cycling is a good thing and there should be more of it, why do we still need a cycle campaign group?
Perhaps some of the following things annoy you:
- There are lots of new cycle paths around Loughborough, but they tend to be slow and tortuous with poor surfaces and difficult road crossings.
- You go to a meeting or event and the directions only detail car access and car parking; on arrival you are made to feel like an outlaw having to improvise or make a nuisance of yourself asking questions.
- You can walk into a dozen or more garages around Loughborough and drive out in a family car; but trying to equip a family with cycle transport requires gruelling detective work.
- Media images of cycling and cyclists distort your non-cycling acquaintances' perception of your everyday transport.
Its remit was to PROMOTE cycling as the sustainable personal transport of the future; CAMPAIGN to improve the ease and safety of cycle use; and SECURE the changes necessary to enable cycle use to fulfil its maximum potential within Loughborough and the surrounding area.
- We have become a well-known and respected Consultee body to Charnwood Borough Council.
- We have formed and strengthened links with other voluntary and environmental groups.
- We produce newsletters to keep members in touch.
THE PRESENCE OF LOUGHBOROUGH AND DISTRICT CYCLE USERS' CAMPAIGN HAS RAISED THE PROFILE OF CYCLING IN OUR LOCAL AREA BUT THERE IS MUCH WORK STILL TO BE DONE.
Simply by joining, you give us valuable support; if you want to become actively involved there are plentiful opportunities.
Our subscriptions are very low to encourage membership, so we very much hope you will consider joining us by filling in the application form.